The Refresher Lift Recovery and Healing Process
Within 24 hours after your procedure, your body will enter Phase 1 of healing. These early days are often alarming for many patients as the early healing produces a strong, but variable inflammatory response: swelling! The body produces an outpouring of its repair cells to seal the dissue disruption and incisions produced by the surgery. After only a few days (5-7), the swelling tapers off and the features recover a normal outlook.
Around Weeks 2-5, your body will enter Phase 2 of healing. The swelling will continue tapering off and the features become refreshed, quite natural and youthful. The healing becomes progressively stronger and virtually all activities are allowed by Week 5. At that stage all superficial swelling has disappeared, but the healing continues internally quite strongly for the next 2-3 months, as demonstrated by the firmness and redness of the incisions as the operated areas soften more and more.
After 3 months and up to one year, your body will be in Phase 3 of healing: Late Healing. Scars and internal repairs mature and soften up scars, redness fades away, facial expressions are totally natural and numbness has virtually disappeared.
Home rest is recommended for the first day or two after surgery. By day three, though you will still be experiencing some bruising and discomfort, the healing process will be well underway, and you’ll likely be ready to get out and about. The following photos show the recovery process of a patient who had a Refresher Lift, and her healing process.
The Healing ProcessBelow are some quotes from our patients about the healing process:
- Day 3 after surgery: I have lots of swelling and my features are distorted, but the discomfort is very modest.
- Day 4 after surgery: The swelling has increased, and I’m a little anxious – or, as my husband put it, “snappy.”
- Day 5 after surgery: Yes! The swelling is subsiding and my features are returning to normal. Today feels like my turnaround day. No more pain.
- Day 6 after surgery: A little improvement since yesterday. Less swelling. I can look in the mirror and visualize the final result.
- Day 7 after surgery: Back to work. My stitches have been removed. A little makeup is enough to cover the tiny pink spots that are still healing.
- Day 8 after surgery: I feel like I’m back to normal. My skin looks so much more vibrant, and the swelling is almost completely gone.
- Day 10 after surgery: More improvement. I’m so excited about my new look. It’s getting better every day!
- Day 14 after surgery: Why did I wait until I was 54 to do this? I should have done it at 40! I’m thrilled, and my husband is elated. I don’t feel like the same person I see in my old pictures.